Blog post #6

Cecilia discussed with us the different aspects of various digital humanities projects, and their strengths and weaknesses. We also discussed gender roles in the digital humanities field, and talked about how many people exhibit different behavior online than they would in a face-to-face conversation. I thought that going through the three different digital humanities projects and actually talking about specific aspects of each project that either strengthens or weakens it. The “Black Liberation 1969” project is very similar to how we envision our final project looking. It utilizes a timeline, as well as “collections”, both of which we intend to use. This project will likely serve as a model for our project. We also discussed some organizational issues in the “African Diaspora blog. In discussing these various projects, Cecilia she does not have an exact definition for a digital humanities, although she does believe that a digital humanities project must make an argument rather than simply present data.

Cecilia also discussed gender differences in the digital humanities field. Since education in technology has masculine implications in society, digital humanities is often geared toward men simply because more men have training in technology than do women. In my opinion, this is one reason of many that we need to push more girls toward education in STEM fields. Cecilia also asked us to consider where and how our devices such as computers and iphones are produced, and how that affects our perception of digital humanities. I had never really thought about how my devices were made, but it certainly does make me question the validity of technology as a whole. As a society, we typically envision that technology is indestructible, but seldom think about how many of our devices are made illegally. Finally, we discussed how people often act differently online than they would in real life. This also takes some validity away from DH for me, since I would not consider arguments that people would make online but not in person to be valid. I found this discussion to be the most interesting part of the conversation, since many discuss technology’s affect on communication in the context of social interaction, but not in the context of Academia. If we had more time with Cecilia, I would ask her if she has experienced people in Academia who act differently online than they would in person, and if she thinks that their online presence remains valid.